Illinois Carbon Monoxide Law
Carbon monoxide (CO) is odorless, colorless, and tasteless. It's produced when any fossil fuel, including natural gas, is burned. When fossil fuels do not burn properly, CO can build up and cause sickness – even death. Carbon monoxide kills about 200 people in the U.S. every year.
Homeowners, landlords and building owners of any occupancy that have rooms used for people to sleep in are required to install carbon monoxide (CO) detectors by January 1, 2007, under legislation passed this spring. The new Illinois law requires the owner of the building to install carbon monoxide detectors within 15 feet of all rooms used for sleeping. This law applies only to those occupancies that use fossil fuel to cook, heat or produce hot water, or is connected to an enclosed garage.
For more information about the law, please click here or contact your local building commissioner.
The carbon monoxide detector may be battery operated, plug-in with battery back-up or wired into the home's AC power with a secondary battery back-up; must bear the label of a nationally recognized testing laboratory: and must comply with the most recent standards of the Underwriters Laboratories or the Canadian Standard Association.
- Never heat your home with your gas range
- Never burn charcoal inside your home or garage
- Always open the chimney flue when you use your fireplace
- Never run a combustion engine, such as your car, lawn mower or snow blower, in an enclosed area.
Install a CO detector:
- Install a CO detector within 15’ of any room used for sleeping in accordance with the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Do not install a CO detector near your kitchen or garage or in a room with a furnace.
- If your CO detector goes off and you feel ill, leave the house and call 911 or the local fire department. If you do not feel ill, push your detector's reset button. If the alarm goes off again after a few minutes, open the windows, leave the house and call 911 or the local fire department.
Recognize the symptoms of CO poisoning:
- Dizziness, nausea, headache and coughing
- Irregular heartbeat
- Pale skin with cherry red lips and ear tipsKnow what to do if you suspect CO poisoning:
- Get fresh air and stay outside.
- Call 911 or the local fire department.
Illinois requires carbon monoxide alarms effective January 1, 2007.