OMAR K. SQUIBB TRAINING FACILITY
The regional training facility in cooperation with the University of Illinois Fire Service Institute, located on Selmaville road was established in 2004 on 2 1/2 acres. In 2005 the Salem Fire Protection District purchased an approximately 1200 square foot building and additional 6 acres adjacent to the training facility . The building includes a class room, kitchenette, and two bathrooms constructed by Jim Gaston and other volunteers. The building also includes a three bay apparatus room and back-up generator. The training facility also includes a three story training building built out of shipping containers including interior and exterior stairs gas and electrical shut offs. The facility also has a pump test/training site that has a 15,000 gallon underground storage tank with preconnected suction hoses and discharge manifold. Other training props at the facility include a saving our own prop, oilfield prop, ventilation prop, S.C.B.A. props, agricultural props, and many others in the planning stages.
The training facility is a very useful tool in the training of emergency personnel in the region and is made possible by volunteers, donations, and the support by citizens of the area.