HAPPY THANKSGIVING WISHES
The Salem Fire Protection District would like to wish everyone and their families a happy Thanksgiving day . To help ensure a safe and happy Thanksgiving gathering the Salem Fire Protection District suggests the following safety tips.
- Start holiday cooking with a clean stove and oven, making sure any old grease or food spills are cleaned up to minimize the chance of flare-ups.
- NEVER leave cooking food unattended
- Avoid wearing loose clothing or dangling sleeves while cooking
- Keep kids away from cooking areas by enforcing a “kid-free zone” of three feet around the stove
- Keep kitchen clutter, especially combustibles such as paper towels, food packing, and similar materials as well as loose clothing away from appliances in the kitchen that generates heat.
- If the contents of a pot or pan catch fire, do not touch or try to move the pot or pan which can spread the fire or cause burns. Extinguish the flames by covering them with a metal lid or larger pot and turning off the burner.
- Never use water on a grease fire which can cause flare ups
- If you must use a turkey fryer, make sure it is outdoors and in an open area away from walls, fences or other structures that could catch fire. Always follow the manufacturer's instructions
- If you are burned, do not use ice,butter or other substance on the burn. Ice can damage the skin, and butter or other substances can trap heat in. Instead, cool the burn under a steady stream of tap water and seek medical attention for serious burns.
In the event of a fire or medical emergency, always call 911.